Actor Will Smith is banned from attending Oscars for 10 years
By: Sarin Istanboulli, Arts and Entertainment Editor, Pawprint
Will Smith will not be allowed to attend the Academy Awards for the next 10 years, as a result of him slapping the comedian Chris Rock on stage.
“The board has decided, for a period of 10 years from April 8, 2022, Mr. Smith shall not be permitted to attend any Academy events or programs, in person or virtually, including but not limited to the Academy Awards,” The Academy President David Rubin, as well as the CEO Dawn Hudson, had explained in a statement on Friday.
This decision was made during a Board of Governors meeting help earlier in Los Angeles. This meeting initially was scheduled for April 18, however, it was anticipated after Smith announced his resignation from the Academy last week.
Will Smith had a statement based on his ban from the Oscars for the next decade.
Will Smith had said to CNN, “I accept and respect the Academy’s decision.”
The Academy had written a letter that said: “The 94th Oscars were meant to be a celebration of the many individuals in our community who did incredible work this past year; however. Those moments were overshadowed by the unacceptable and harmful behavior we saw Mr. Smith exhibit on stage.”
Smith’s resignation means that is no longer able to be a part of the Academy’s voting body, however, it doesn’t prevent the Oscar winner from being nominated in the future. Will Smith can still be nominated despite his ban to attend the Oscars because “the standards of conduct rules” that play in today’s action “do not apply to awards eligibility.”
Leave a Reply