By: Yasmeen Duwaji, News editor, Yasmin Hassani, Staff reporter, Paw Print
- Squid game: The South Korean thriller has been watched by 111 million users across the globe and counting. In terms of sartorial inspiration, we have the players, clad in green tracksuits with white numbers emblazoned on the jackets, and the heartless “VIPs,” in menacing crystal animal masks and silk robes. You could also come dressed to kill as Younghee, the childhood literary character turned deathly robot with her unassuming pigtails and orange smock.
- SOUR album cover: Olivia Rodrigo broke onto the pop scene this year with ‘Drivers License’ and her breakup album SOUR, which featured an extremely Gen Z vibe on the cover: she’s covered in stickers. For those DIY-ers out there, this one is unfairly easy. Obtain stickers, adhere stickers onto your face, stick out your tongue, and you’re done!
- Wanda Vision: The Marvel Cinematic Universe continued its mighty sweep of our mortal Earth in 2021, this time taking to our television screens with a slate of buzzy new shows on Disney, beginning with WandaVision. Whether you opt for the comic book-style outfits they sported on the show’s Halloween episode or the sleeker, more modern Scarlet Witch and Vision ensembles we see in the finale. For 1950s Wanda, you’ll need: an A-line cocktail dress or a smock dress in the style of a diner waitress uniform, an apron, string of pearls and a softly curled bob.
- Bernie Sanders at the 2021 Presidential Inauguration: Every now and then there’s a meme so ubiquitous that it nestles its way into the collective consciousness. The image of U.S. Senator Bernie Sanders at then president-elect Joe Biden’s inauguration this past January — sitting socially distanced on a black folding chair, masked, arms crossed, while wearing a parka/dress pants/knit mittens combo. Here’s what you’ll need: A khaki green, parka, black dress pants, brown dress shoes, patterned wool mitten, wire-rimmed glasses and a blue medical face mask.
- Cruella: Disney’s 2021 take on Cruella is all about the drama. Lace eye masks, two-toned wigs, and bold red lipsticks are all must-buys if you want to dress up as Estella Miller this year. Emma Stone actually wore lipstick in the shade “Lady Danger” by MAC in the film, so you can get a piece of Disney movie magic for yourself this year. Wear black from head to toe to complete the costume.