By: Carlota Baudin, Staff Reporter, The Pawprint
Thanksgiving is coming up, you have the typical foods people enjoy to prepare like Turkey, Yams, and Pie. After a while you repeat the same recipes for years and years and it gets boring. If you want to try something easy and new then this is the article for you.
FRIED MASH POTATO BALLS
These fried mash potato balls are crispy on the outside and cheesy, bacon-y, and savory on the inside. This easy recipe turns those sad leftover mashed potatoes into something Magical and eco friendly!
How to make fried mash potato balls:
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes with cooked bacon, cheddar, chives, and garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper. Stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Place eggs and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Use a small cookie scoop to scoop 1” to 2” balls of mashed potato mixture. Roll into a ball in your hands, then dredge first in egg and then in bread crumbs. Repeat until all mashed potatoes are used.
- Heat 3” of oil in a large cast iron skillet until the candy thermometer reads 375°. Fry potato balls in batches until golden on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on a paper towel lined plate and season immediately with more salt.
For detailed information go to Delish
MASHED POTATO CASSEROLE
The baked potato-mashed potato combo you never knew you needed. This easy to make side dish is loaded up with extra melty cheese, crispy bacon, and chives. The best part, You can make this dish ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven to heat back up!
How to make mashed potato casserole:
- We’ll start with making the mashed potatoes. We’re going to load the mashed potatoes up with sweet cream butter, sour cream to make them extra creamy, a bit of milk, some garlic powder and salt to give flavor. You can definitely leave out the garlic if you’re not a fan.
- Mix some of the cheddar cheese with the mashed potatoes. This helps make the entire dish extra cheesy.
- Toast a bit of panko bread crumbs and sprinkled those on top. They give a wonderful toasty taste, plus they add a bit of texture. Sprinkle the bread crumbs and extra shredded cheese, then bake briefly. After baking add the crumbled bacon and chives. Serve this dish warm. I guarantee this will be the highlight of the meal.
For detailed information go to House of Yumm
PUMPKIN PIE POPSICLE
A great way to make everyone around you happy with a popsicle on their hand and the taste of the traditional pumpkin pie flavor that makes you feel at home!
How to make pumpkin pie popsicles:
- 8 ounces of Goats Milk, fat free Greek Yogurt, unsweetened Coconut Milk or any Vegan milk you desire
- 3 ounces unsweetened Pumpkin Purée
- 1/2 dropper full of Vanilla Stevia Drops, Honey or Maple Syrup to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- pinch of fine Sea Salt
For detailed information go to Marla Meridith
CRANBERRY ICE CREAM
Great dessert to go aside any cake or pumpkin pie you wish to make! Its sweet and tartness goes paired with any desert you could whip up.
How to make a delicious cranberry ice cream :
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 12 oz Fresh Cranberries, cleaned & sorted
- 2 Tb Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1½ Cups Heavy Cream
- 1½ Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1¼ Cups Cranberry Puree
- Over medium heat – cook the water, salt and cranberries for 6-7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Puree the cranberries and orange juice in a blender or food processor. (will make about 1¼ cups puree)
- Refrigerate cranberry puree for several hours or until cold.
- Place your desired ice cream container into the freezer. I use a loaf pan.
- Mix together the cream, milk, sugar and cranberry puree.
- Churn the mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Once the mixture is frozen and creamy, transfer to the cold ice cream container.
- Freeze for at least 4-6 hours.
- Thaw for 5-10 minutes before serving.
For detailed information go to Wonky Wonderful
HONEY ROASTED SWEET POTATOES WITH HONEY DIP
You can never go wrong with some warm sweet potatoes. When they are soft and tender in the middle,lightly crisped and caramelized on the outside! The simple honey-cinnamon dip is creamy and loaded with flavor!!
How to make honey roasted sweet potatoes with honey dip
- Sweet potatoes
- Coconut oil
- Salt and pepper
- Greek yogurt
- Peel and dice the sweet potatoes, then add to a gallon-sized Ziploc bag. To the potatoes, add the honey, melted coconut oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper, and toss potatoes to coat.
- Transfer the potatoes to a baking tray, then roast until tender.
- While the potatoes roast, quickly whisk together the honey-cinnamon dip.
For detailed information go to Averie Cooks.